Greetings and welcome to episode one of our Knowledge Drop series, The Great Drum Rack Switch! The purpose of this series is to share how we bring both classic and novel production techniques into a modern electronic music environment. The focus of today’s drop: quickly switching between different drum kits, for both production and performance.
Ableton Live possesses rack devices, whose purpose is to house other devices. Today’s Knowledge Drop uses a combination of Live’s Drum Rack and Instrument Rack devices to trade one full drum kit for another (or another, or another…) by merely turning a knob. We also show how to expand this idea so that one knob cycles through countless kick sounds, another knob switches between various snare samples, and so on.
Today’s Content Download
For you, we have created a Live Project that demonstrates these “drum rack switcher” and “final drum rack” concepts. This project was made with Ableton Live 9 and contains:
- 70 drum kits (comprising over 700 audio samples)
- 10 drum kits are included in each of these seven genres:
- Drum and Bass
- Deep House
- Hip Hop
- Tech House
- Each of these styles includes:
- Five drum pattern examples (35 patterns total)
- A configured “drum rack switcher” (seven switchers total)
- A configured “final drum rack” (seven racks total; requires Ableton Live Suite)
- A configured “final rack switcher” (seven switchers total; requires Ableton Live Suite)
By signing up for our Content Mailing List, you can then download this Knowledge Drop content, and you will be the first to know when other downloads become available.
Download: The Great Drum Rack Switch content
To sign up for our Mailing List (or if you are already registered), please submit your email address below. You will be taken to a page where you can download the file.
Knowledge Drop is a free series of focused tutorial videos with accompanying content packages from Knob Theory. Each Knowledge Drop video demonstrates a particular technique through the lens of modern electronic music production.